Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ah, September!

It's been a few days since I've posted since I was sin computer for a while because apple had to put a new keyboard on my new macbook (it's my luck that I get the one computer in a million that happens to be faulty off the line. Else wise, I love my new mac). Anyway, I ran last Thursday and it wasn't my best run, but it was alright. I was still a bit above 38 minutes for my 5k time. Then, I hiked up grandfather mountain on Friday with my best friend on the most strenuous trail the mountain has to offer. It was a beautiful day and a great way to start the weekend! I love nothing better then the sound of birds chirping and creeks babbling. However, my friend and I didn't start the hike until 2, so we hauled it up that mountain at a blistering pace to get to the top before we had to head back before it got dark. We covered over 7 miles in under 4 hours of strenuous hills and flooded trails. It was an amazing workout. I actually had to buy a new shirt before dinner because my ENTIRE shirt was soaked with sweat and I didn't want to knock people out over dinner with my awesome sweating abilities. :)

So, the start of my weekend was really great, and I was planning on ending my weekend by running the Nike 10k on Sunday. However, when I woke up on Saturday morning, my legs had turned to stone. The crazy hiking and rock scaling that I did on Friday took its toll and walking up and down stairs was tough both Saturday and Sunday. I knew I need some time off for my legs to recoup, so although I really, really wanted to run the Nike 10k, I decided it was best not to since the most important race for me is the Relay in Baltimore in October, and I can't injure myself before then. The good news is that I felt less stiff on Monday and went out for a run, and I ran it under 37 minutes! I ran it in 36:30, which I think is my second fastest time ever. I was pretty happy :) I ran the second mile in 9:30, which is also great that I got a mile under 10 minutes! I should probably start taking out my 5 minute warm-up, since that is a factor in my statistics. I might try warming up, and then running the 5k to see if my times will be better. My other goal for this week is to get back to 3 or 4 runs a week. For the past three weeks, I've only ran 2 or 3 days (granted, I cross-trained some of those days, but I want the consistency of running). So, I'll run tomorrow morning and Friday morning and probably try adding in a long run either Saturday or Sunday depending on which day seems to work better for me. My other hope is that it will start becoming cool again since I'm pretty over this humidity. Although, Hurricane Hanna is brewing in the atlantic and it's path has it coming up through NC, so that might halt a few days of running. Oh, weather.

1 comment:

SuperDave said...

No more hiking up mountains before races. LOL!! I betcha had more fun hiking though. When I am trying to find my fast 5K times, I always take out my warmup. Watch out for Hannah - she is a' comin yo way..(TN slang)