Wednesday, August 27, 2008

You Think I Would Learn By Now...

Well, I went on a run Monday morning a little later than I normally do, but didn't eat or drink any water before hand. Big mistake. I got through the first mile fine, but about half way through the 5k my legs cramped up on me, followed soon by my intestines, and then my head got fuzzy. It was pretty bad. You would think that after experiencing this once or twice, I would have gotten serious about increasing my water intake and making sure I have proper fuel in my system before running. However, I just hopped out of bed and on the road - I didn't even stretch beforehand. I think 3rd time is a charm though, because I was really miserable and I don't want to experience that again. Hopefully, that is the last time my body has to remind me how stupid I am.

So, I increased my water intake and set a luna bar next to my bed so I could eat it before running this morning. However, before my alarm went off, i was woken up by thunder and pouring rain. In fact, we even had a tornado go through the upper part of my county. So, needless to say, I didn't think it would be the safest weather to go out and run in. The stinky thing is that tomorrow's forecast is much the same. My parents are members of the Y, so I'm pondering perhaps going up there tomorrow and seeing if I can go in as my mom for one day just so I don't miss too many days of running. We'll see.

1 comment:

SuperDave said...

Get with it Hakuna!! LOL!
I've done that a few times. It usually doesn't happen to me unless I run > 5miles. I too learned the hard way. A couple months ago I did a 10 miler without brining water.(stupid huh?)
I almost passed out( saw black stars.)
I have treated many athletes in the ER that have had "heat sickness" due to dehydration. It most often occurs in the morning for those people that think that they will burn more calories on an "empty stomach." Ok sry for the DR talk..hehe
Raining here too.. I said, "hell with it!" and ran in the rain tonight.