Monday, August 18, 2008

Getting Back Into the Grove

Today was the first day I've had a good run in a while. I'm in the beautiful carolina blue heaven that is known as chapel hill visiting friends, and it is a fantastic place to run. Although, I was intimated at first by all of the younger runners out in next to nothing that were gracefully jogging through campus like gazelles because I'm not a pretty runner. However, after a while I just forgot about everyone else and went about my way.

I've can't seem to get past W6D2 though. I ran the first 10 minutes and felt great, took the 3 minute walk, and then lasted about 5 minutes before I had to stop and walk again. Considering I took 3 days off and was running a new course, I don't feel too bad about it, but I'm going to try and stick to running the second 10 minute leg consistently on Wednesday. I'm not sure if I'll ever entirely phase out walking, but after talking to many people that have been running for years about the subject, many suggest that I might actually run faster by talking walking breaks. Another friend I know that is running in the relay is doing a run 4 minutes/walk a minute plan to get through the 6 miles of the relay, so I for sure won't be the only one doing a run/walking approach. We'll see.

As for today, it was the second time that I got my 5k under 37 minutes, so I am feeling pretty good about that. I'm hopeful that I'm starting to settle down and find routine in my life again after the crazy last week and half of disorientation. Finding a job would still be a helpful way to make me feel more settled though. :P Alas!

3 comments:

Beth said...

The running is going. I am on week7, where you are suppose to walk 5 mins then run 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes, which in my case is 29 mins). I have been able to do that twice no problem on the treadmill... well with a lot of difficulty, but I achieved it. However, today I did that outside. Let's just say I only ran a mile and walked the rest of the way. I felt like I fell off the horse, but I guess I will try again tomorrow.

I don't think I will ever look like a graceful runner btw.

Yeah, I am very scared about the GREs, but I guess I still have about three more years left before I want to apply for grad school. I am really going more towards a Health Care Administration Masters, but we will see. I will probably change my mind again, like I always do! :)

Beth said...

I would love to run with you... even though I haven't ran with someone before besides Patrick. I like to run around 9-10am; however, I can do earlier if need be.

Have fun in Chapel Hill! :)

SuperDave said...

Running in Chapel Hill, NC. I run in seclusion most of the time, and wish that I see more runners. There is a certain comraderie amongst runners. So even though you may feel out of place, just to know that you are doing it is great!
37 minutes is not too shabby for taking walkbreaks in between. Don't be discouraged!