Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Slight Frustrations

Well, I got up at 5am to go running again and actually got out the door a little sooner than I normally do. Thankfully, it was a really nice morning to run and seemed, if it is possible, even more quiet than normal. The beginning of the 20 minute run went smoothly, but eventually I hit a big hill that slowed me down a little. However, with a few favorite running songs, I powered through and actually ran for 22 minutes straight. 22 MINUTES!!! Which, you would think, would make me uber excited. And it did, for a few minutes, until my ipod told me that I was running at the same pace to finish the 5k as I've done when adding in more walking. It turns out, even with running 22 straight minutes, I still finished the 5k at 39 minutes. What gives? I was pretty annoyed for a few minutes, feeling as though my accomplishment of running 22 minutes is pretty much a wash if I'm still doing a 39 minute 5k. Alas.

After a few minutes of walking/storming back to the house, I figured that I am probably mistaking the results I'm supposed to get from the beginning of my training. Right now, I'm working on being able to continuously run for the distance of a 5k. I'm not working for speed. I think that the reason I can walk/run a 5k so fast is that the walking gives me energy to run much faster for shorter periods of time. So, I'm hopeful that as I learn to run for longer periods, eventually, the quickness will come too and I'll start not only running for longer, but faster too. Hopefully this is true, or else wise I might throw my Ipod at something if in a month it is still giving me 5k times of 39 minutes. We'll see.

Thursday is a new running day and it looks as if W6D1 gives us a break from continuous running and goes back to run/walking, as does W6D2. I'm hopeful that perhaps by W6D3 when I have to run for 25 straight minutes, I'll get the 5k time back below 39 minutes. Until then!

1 comment:

Amy S. said...

You are doing well on your C25K it seems. I tried for so long to keep up with that, but never moved past week 6. Eventually, I just decided to run the stinking 5K, and it was wonderful (when it was over)!

Actually, you'll feel so great, and the momentum of the group around you will definintely help improve your time. Good luck!