Saturday, August 23, 2008

Intervals Done!

I FINALLY completed w6d2 of the C25K yesterday! It took me three attempts to do it in the 10,3,10 pattern the programs describes. With the first two attempts I ran the first 10 minutes with little problem, walked for three, but then could only run between 3 or 5 minutes before I had to stop again. This time, I was very determined and I would not let myself stop to walk. About 4 minutes into the second run I could feel myself slowing to a stop, but I gritted my teeth and kept going. It really is amazing how much of running is purely mental. My body is conditioned to run 10 minutes straight now, but often I don't mentally believe that.

So, all in all, this run was pretty great. It was my third time getting the 5k just under 37 minutes, and I'm hoping to start decreasing that soon. One benefit of being back home in Raleigh is that there is a beautifully paved greenway path that starts in my neighborhood, and if I run it to the end and back, it is exactly a 5k. Not only that, but there are quite a few people who run on the path, and everyone was extremely friendly. While running at UNC I didn't quite feel that runner's camaraderie, but I sure felt it running in my neighborhood. I don't think I passed anyone without a good afternoon or quick wave with a smile. So, I should have at least 3 or 4 more runs before I try tackling the Human 10k Race next Sunday. I've never ran that long, but I figure this will be a good introduction to being on my feet for over an hour. After all, I need to be running a 10k distance by October 11th, so I'll start adding in a longer run during the weekends here soon. Fun times :)

Also, as a side note, I promised myself a while ago that if I stuck with this running for a good couple of weeks, I would let myself buy a pair of those expensive nike running shorts that look so cool. I've typically been running in shorts from Target that are pretty similar (and much cheaper!), but I do think there is something about dressing like a runner that makes you feel even more like a runner. So, REI (a common enemy to my wallet) started their Labor Day sale yesterday, and on top of buying some new hiking clothes, I bought myself TWO pairs of the Nike running shorts that were on sale. Watch out local trails! I'm starting to look AND think like a runner now! ;)

1 comment:

SuperDave said...

Congrats on tackling w6d2!
After you get a good runnig base down, it becomes all mental after that.
I wish I had a few greenways down my way to run on.
I'm a Walmart kinda guy for most of my running clothes.LOL!!