Thursday, July 24, 2008

First Day of Training Completed!

Surprisingly, the weather held out a few hours for me to actually go running yesterday. I decided that my game plan for training is to follow the last 5 weeks of the C25K program which will bring me right to the end of August. Then, I have exactly 6 weeks to tact on another 3 miles to my running regime. This won't make me the fastest runner out there, but I figure the gradual progression will actually make me stick with the running. I will be running a 10k by this time this is all done :)

Want to know a secret? I actually enjoyed my run yesterday. I am contributing most of this joy to my newfound love: the Nike+. I love how it counts down the last meters you have to run to finish your goal (a 5k for yesterday). Having not worked out in a long time, I was able to complete a 5k in 39 minutes. Not too shabby says I. :) My average mile took me 12:33 and I supposedly burned 367 calories. That time also included my five minute warm-up, and an additional 10 minutes of walking in there. My ultimate goal is to run the 5k around 27 minutes. I know most fit females run the 5k in under 25, but I think since I'm not built to be a runner, 27 minutes would be just fine. However, I figure if I can at least get to 30 minute 5ks before I start training for the 10k that would work pretty well too. Yesterday's run was W4D1 of the C25K, so on Friday I'll do day two. Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to get up early in the morning to run because I have a softball game that afternoon, and I'm going dancing in the evening with friends. 5am here I come!

No comments: