Thursday, July 31, 2008

Another Early Morning

I was actually able to get up again at 5am to go running. I know it sounds crazy - because a lot of people told me they can't believe I'm getting up that early to run - but I really do enjoy it. If you are used to getting up at 5:45, 5am isn't really that much earlier. Plus, running in the afternoon heat sucks in pretty much every way imaginable. Not to mention, when I do my runs in the afternoon, I have most of the day to think about it and try and talk myself out of running. When I get up in the morning, I just go. The only negative I've found so far (other than losing a bit of sleep) is that I'm not always properly hydrated. I'm trying to drink lots of water before I sleep on nights before I run, but that mostly just leaves me getting up in the middle of the night to pee. I don't want to drink right before I run, because I don't do well with the sloshing feeling in my stomach. I'm hopeful over time that the hydration will level out simply because I’m consuming more water everyday. I did, however, do much better with after-run nutrition as I had a yogurt smoothie and Luna bar for breakfast and felt much better than I did on Tuesday after my early morning run. Both of those might become fixtures in my diet.

Anyway, onto the details of the run! Today started off week 5 of the C25K plan. Not too different than week 4, but I ran 5 minutes with three minute breaks. Although I still think I'm getting faster when running, I'm worried about phasing out my walking breaks. I rely on them pretty heavily, and I'm not sure how I'll fare straight running. I suppose we will see on Saturday though because that will be my next morning run in which I am running for 8 minutes straight. Fun times. So, today's time was actually a tad slow because I felt dehydrated and when I walked, I walked really slowly because my intestines hated me. I finished in 39:25, with an average mile still around 12:35. However, I am running a few miles at an under 10 minute pace, I just can't seem to string that together for three. But, since I've only been running for 2 weeks, I figure there is time. :)

I also did day one of the push up plan last night. I'm not sure if I am really doing the pushups right. I mean, it's one of those exercises that we all "know" how to do, but I feel most of us probably don't have proper form. I'm going to try and look for advice on how to really position my body because the small of my back was killing me yesterday, and that isn't supposed to happen. Anyway, I was able to complete day one with little problem and no real soreness today.

I think that is pretty much everything to report. Tomorrow is my day off so I’ll just do some pushups. This weekend will be busy between work and hanging out with friends as it is my last true weekend in Charm City. Where did the time go?

2 comments:

Human Microbiome Search Engine said...

You said:
"I was actually able to get up again at 5am to go running. I know it sounds crazy - because a lot of people told me they can't believe I'm getting up that early to run - but I really do enjoy it. If you are used to getting up at 5:45, 5am isn't really that much earlier. "

Yeah, I find that if I don't do something the first thing in the morning, I end up the day without doing it at all. Bummer.

SuperDave said...

Good Luck with the running.
Watch out, it can be addicting.
Oh so that's how you spell "Hakuna Matata." LOL
With this kind of heat, getting up early is the only way to run.