Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hello 5am...

I did it. I actually got up at 5am to go running. It was a tough battle - my head said stay in bed but without my permission my body got up and turned on the lights and tv. And, after that, you might as well go running, right?

My last jog on Sunday left me with a small blister on my right heel because my sock slipped below where my shoe hits the back of my leg. So, at 5am, I just threw a Band-Aid on my heel and went out the door (wearing the same socks that slipped the last time). About 1 minute into my run the Band-Aid fell off. Do I stop though? No! Go big or go home! After my next 5 minute run, I started to limp a bit. So, on the corner of Charles Street and University Street in front of Hopkins at 530 in the morning, I literally sat on the side walk and took off my shoe so I could pull my sock up as high as it would go. That seemed to suffice for the rest of the run. The reason I did that? Running felt great this morning! It was cool, quiet, and very peaceful. I might find myself turning on the lights at 5am more often. AND, I got my run under 39 minutes! My Nike+ doesn't reflect this because I forgot to stop the workout while I sat on the ground fixing my shoe, so the timer kept going for about the full minute I was down. So, I'm guessing my time was about 38:12ish or so. That should also drop my mile time below 12 minutes a mile. I was pretty proud of myself upon my return to the house :)

So, that concludes week 4 of the C25K program. Thursday, I'll start on W5D1. Also, I went ahead and found my baseline for pushups for the 100 pushups program. I could do 10, which means I could either go in the second or third tier for the workout program. However, since I'm sure a couple of those were weak, I think I'll stick with the second tier of the program. Thus, tomorrow is pushups day and Thursday is another run! I have my ankle taped up over my now very big, raw, and nasty blister on the back of my heel, so I might have to tape it to run too. We'll see...

1 comment:

Beth said...

WOW! I have heard about the couch potato to 5K, but I found a chart online. I will begin week 5 tomorrow; however, it really should be about week 7 or 8. Well if you ever want to run with someone in Raleigh when you move back. I will do the first three miles with you or the last three; however, I don't think I can do the whole 6-7 miles.

So when are you actually moving back? Isn't it in August sometime?