Sunday, July 27, 2008

Water, Water, Water

Anatomy and physiology has always been something that has interested me. I think our bodies are remarkable and I love learning about how everything works. Today, my body taught me a lesson - don't go running if you haven't drank water. This is something that was already pretty obvious to me, but I didn't think it would be too bad to run without drinking first. The story goes like this: Friday I exerted myself by playing softball and then going dancing until 3am. Saturday, I was exhausted and dehydrated because of the dancing and the bit of alcohol I had from the night before. So, Saturday I did nothing and ate next to nothing and drank next to nothing since I didn't feel well. However, this morning when I got up, I felt great! So, with nothing in my stomach and no water to speak of, I went out to run. Bad idea. I got through the first run/walk set ok, but during my second 5 minute run, my body literally stopped. In my head I thought I could keep going, but it was as if someone pulled the emergency break up and I literally jerked to a stop because my body just had enough. I felt sick, I had cramps, and I thought I was going to throw up. I had to walk a full 7ish minutes before I felt better. Even then, when I tried to start back running I could only last 3ish minutes or so. Surprisingly, I still ended up with a 5k time of 39:14 - only 14 seconds slower than my run a few days prior. I averaged about a 12:35 mile. I think this means that even though I walked a ton, when I ran I was starting to run faster. So, even though today's run was awful and I did not feel excited like I do after most runs (I literally fell on my porch and laid there for a good few minutes), I learned a valuable lesson and I didn't fall too far off of the horse.

So, the plan is tomorrow to take my day off and I think in the evening I'm going to see where I place on the 100 push ups plan so I can start that training on Wednesday evening. I figure I will probably go every other day with running and push ups, so my "weeks" of the C25K plan won't always start on Monday. Tuesday will be W4D3 and then Thursday I'll start week 5. All of the tasks still seem really daunting, but I know I can do it. It also helps to have really amazing friends like William who is doing a good job of holding me accountable :) It will be harder to quit knowing I have so many things planned and people excited about my progress. Next goal - to get the 5k under 39 minutes. Bring it on Tuesday!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Are you doing the six miles for something or is it just some type of goal?

I have been trying to learn how to go from walking to running and I'm on the fourth week of learning to run a 5K. It's a lot of work! I could walk for miles without a problem, but the minute I start running I feel like I am going to pass out.

How are the job search in Raleigh coming along?

Unknown said...

This was a good lesson to learn and one that I think most runners experience. The theory behind hydration and listening to your body seems so obvious, and yet so many of us make simple mistakes (like forgetting to eat and hydrate properly or exercising for too long). The best thing you can do for yourself is to always make sure you're getting enough water. I was actually pretty bad about this until recently. I find it helps to carry a water bottle around with me. When water is readily available, you're more likely to drink enough throughout the day. Proper hydration can also slightly decrease your appetite. So all in all it's just smart to stay hydrated.

Another thing you should make sure to pay attention to are your legs and knees. Knee injuries are fairly common for runners, but aren't necessarily as serious as many assume them to be. If your knees ache after a run, make sure you properly cool down and then rest. If they still feel a little weird the next day, you may want to consider taking a day off from running. Shin splints are also a common leg pain runners get, but these are actually a good sign (most of the time). Shin splints are a result of your shin bone splintering. This painful process generally occurs as you run (from applying pressure), but the overall consequence is actually positive. As the bone splinters, stronger bone grows back, ultimately making you a stronger runner. If you have shin splints in the side of your leg, however, you may want to consider decreasing your workout regiment or even taking a day or two off from running.

Sorry your workout wasn't very fun today, but don't let it discourage you. I'm glad you walked away from the experience with a good lesson. Our bodies have a lot to tell us, and sometimes it takes us a while to understand what it is our bodies are saying. I know this is something I've struggled with myself. But keep listening and eventually you and your body will be one (like Simba and Kiara :P).

Keep up the training. I can't wait to hear how your race goes!